Staff Report

A Leitchfield man lost his life in a crash on Owensboro Road last Thursday, May 30.

At approximately 1:21 p.m. last Thursday, the Grayson County Sheriff’s Office responded to an injury crash near the 4300 block of Owensboro Road.

The GCSO's initial investigation revealed that a 1999 Ford F250, driven by 54-year-old Martin K. Brown, of Fordsville, Kentucky, was traveling east on KY Hwy 54 when its driver's side mirror made contact with the driver's side mirror of a westbound 2017 Nissan Titan pick-up truck, driven by 68-year-old Paul W. Blandford, of Mt. Washington, Kentucky.

The impact caused minor damage to Blandford's vehicle, and he was uninjured.

After the initial contact was made by the two vehicles, Brown's vehicle then entered the westbound lane and struck another vehicle, a 1993 Ford Ranger pick-up, driven by 69-year-old Emmett L. Shaw, of Leitchfield, head-on.

After the impact, Shaw's vehicle spun approximately 90 degrees, struck a mailbox, and came to final rest in a private driveway on the north side of KY 54.

Brown's vehicle spun approximately 180 degrees, traveled several more feet eastbound, and came to final rest facing west in the ditch line on the north side of the roadway.

The impact caused severe damage to both Brown and Shaw's vehicles, according to Grayson County Sheriff Norman Chaffins.

Brown sustained minor injuries in the accident and was transported to the Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center emergency room by private vehicle.

Shaw was killed instantly and pronounced dead at the scene by Grayson County Deputy Coroner Larry Holeman.

Immediately after the crash, a fourth vehicle, a 2010 Ford Sedan, driven by 56-year-old Gary Myatt, of Falls of Rough, was traveling westbound and lost control due to the debris, wet roads, and an excess amount of slippery fluids from the crash, according to Chaffins.

Myatt lost control and entered the north ditch line, before striking the embankment and coming to a rest in a residential lawn, causing minor damage to the vehicle and the lawn.

The roadway was completely shut down for approximately two hours during the investigation and clean up of the debris and fluids that were leaked from Brown and Shaw's vehicles.

The Leitchfield Fire Department, Grayson County EMS, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Tanner's Towing, and King's Towing also assisted at the scene. GCSO units arrived within five minutes of the call and are also receiving assistance from Trooper Scott Rafferty, a Kentucky State Police Reconstructionist.

According to Chaffins, alcohol or drugs did not appear to have been factors in the crash, and all occupants involved were wearing safety belts.