Amy Lindsey | GC News-Gazette Taylor Logsdon with the Leitchfield Fire Department puts out the last of the flames at the garage fire Thursday.

Amy Lindsey | GC News-Gazette

Taylor Logsdon with the Leitchfield Fire Department puts out the last of the flames at the garage fire Thursday.

A Grayson Springs man lost a garage and some vehicles to a fire Thursday afternoon.

Both Clarkson Fire and Rescue and the Leitchfield Fire Department were dispatched to the residence of Robert McGuffin near the 5500 block of Grayson Springs Road for a structure fire at approximately 1:15 p.m. on Thursday.

When firefighters arrived, they found the garage fully engulfed in flames.

According to Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall, even though the house was 30 yards away from the garage, there was a chance that it could have caught on fire, too, and firefighters found that the vinyl siding on the home was melting from the heat of the flames.

"The house was about ready to go up, but we got it knocked down pretty quick," Duvall said.

After the fire was out, but still smoldering, LFD ran out of water, and they sent a truck back for more. During this time, gas leaking from a car inside the garage caused the flames to rekindle; however, the garage had already been destroyed by that point.

Before LFD's water truck returned, Clarkson Fire and Rescue arrived with a truck carrying water.

According to Duvall, the homeowner believed the fire started due to a battery charger in the garage over-charging a car battery, causing it to explode.

The garage was a total loss, and several vehicles in and around the garage also endured fire damage.

No injuries were reported.