A Millwood teenager accused of stabbing his grandmother and slitting her throat was indicted by the Grayson County Grand Jury this month.

18-year-old Douglas Barton, of Millwood, was indicted on the charges of attempted murder; assault in the first degree; and tampering with physical evidence in relation to the Sept. 7 incident.

He was arrested by the Grayson County Sheriff's Office on Sept. 7, at which point, according to his arrest warrant, he admitting to slitting his grandmother’s throat and stabbing her multiple times. He was initially charged with attempted murder and tampering with physical evidence, but first-degree assault was later added to his list of charges.

These charges stem from a Grayson County Central Dispatch call, received at 3:40 a.m. on Sept. 7, in which a man stated that his grandmother was bleeding from the chest and back and appeared to have been stabbed.

The Grayson County Sheriff’s Office and Leitchfield Police Department arrived at the residence near the 200 block of Pleasant View Road in Millwood and discovered an older female lying in the driveway. Grayson County Sheriff’s Office Sergeant Fred Norder’s investigation revealed that Barton, the victim’s paternal grandson, had made the 911 call and was also allegedly responsible for her injuries.

According to Barton’s arrest warrant, he had an argument with his grandmother in the early morning hours on Sept. 7, and, during the course of the argument, he “came up behind his grandmother and pulled her head backwards and reached around, slashing her throat with a knife, causing a deep wound to her throat.”

The warrant goes on to state that, after the victim fell on the driveway, Barton stabbed her multiple times in the back.

Grayson County Sheriff Norman Chaffins said Barton appeared to have also stabbed the victim in the trachea, and, after the stabbing, left her lying outside her residence and called 911 to report an injured person was in the driveway.

The woman suffered multiple injuries that caused her to lose a large amount of blood, as well as sustain a collapsed lung and damaged trachea, but she survived her injuries, according to police.

Barton pleaded not guilty in September to all the charges brought against him and will next appear in court on Jan. 8 at 9 a.m. for a pre-trial conference. He is being represented by the Department of Public Advocacy and remains lodged in the Grayson County Detention Center.