Investigators now believe that electrocution may have potentially played a role in the recent drowning death of 36-year-old Kyle McGonigle.
McGonigle, a Vine Grove father of two, passed away on Monday evening in the waters near M & D Marina during an outing with friends. His death was initially ruled a drowning, though signs pointed to other factors being involved.
Sheriff Rick Clemons said that, while the main cause of death appears to be drowning, the discovery of an electrical cord in the water from a nearby houseboat, along with testimony from witnesses, indicates that the drowning could possibly have been as a result of electric current in the water.
Witnesses to the event said that immediately prior to McGonigle going under the water, a dog who was swimming with him yelped loudly and went beneath the water as well. The body of the dog was found near McGonigle by Leitchfield Volunteer Fire Department divers. Additionally, other swimmers may have felt an electrical current at the time.
Deputy Coroner Howard Tomes said that the results of the autopsy being performed on McGonigle will take between two and three weeks to be received.
Clemons said on Friday that it may never be entirely clear whether electrocution played a part in the death.
At this point, Clemons said, the investigation into the incident is still ongoing, though it appears that McGonigle’s death was accidental.