Four structures were destroyed by fire within the space of a week, according to Leitchfield Fire Chief Jerry Schlosser.
The most recent of the incidents occurred on Tuesday night, March 4 at just after 10 p.m. when an abandoned home on Warren Purcell Road, around 12 miles west of Leitchfield became completely engulfed in flames.
No one was in the home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported in connection.
Both Leitchfield Fire Department and Rough River Fire Department responded to the blaze.
Another home, this one on Bloomington Road, burned on Saturday, March 1. Schlosser said that two people were in the home when the fire began, a mother and her adult daughter.
“The daughter was asleep,” Schlosser explained, “and when the mother discovered the fire, she was able to wake her daughter up in time to get out of the home.”
By the time firefighters arrived on scene, he said the modular home was two-thirds destroyed.
A Carson Street fire on Wednesday, Feb. 26 claimed the home of a woman and her six children.
“Thank goodness it happened during the daytime,” Schlosser said. No one was home at the time of the fire, though the family’s two pets were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters recovered only one smoke detector from the home. The badly burned device did not have any batteries in it at the time of the blaze, Schlosser said, adding that the incident could have been disastrous had the fire begun while the family of seven slept.
The final structure was a Peonia Road barn, which burned on Monday, March 3.
Schlosser stressed the importance of placing working smoke detectors in homes and checking the batteries at least once per year to ensure that in the event of a fire, the home’s occupants have time to escape.
“A smoke detector, which costs only about $10, will come closer to saving your life than a half-million-dollar fire truck,” Schlosser said.
The Leitchfield Fire Department encourages Grayson County residents who cannot purchase a smoke detector or check their batteries themselves to contact the department any time by calling the fire station at 270-259-6376.
“Or they can call my personal cell phone at 270-230-2522,” Schlosser said, “that’s how serious I am about this program and getting these smoke detectors to people.”
“We will bring them one and install it for them, or check and replace their batteries,” Schlosser said. “We’re happy to do it.”