Fire breaks out at local home


By Matt Lasley - mlasley@civitasmedia.com



Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette


Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette


A fire broke out in a residence on Coopers Point Road in Leitchfield on Wednesday evening, Aug. 10.

At around 6:55 p.m. on Wednesday, the Leitchfield Fire Department (LFD) responded to a reported house fire at 52 Coopers Point Rd., located off of Eveleigh Road.

The fire originated in the attic portion of the residence when an extension chord attached to a second-floor air conditioning unit overheated and caught fire, according to Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall.

The chord, which was not the correct rating to be used for the air conditioning unit, caught the carpet and mattresses on fire in the attic, but Leitchfield firefighters were able to contain the flames to the one upstairs room, Duvall said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames within about five minutes, according to Duvall.

The remainder of the attic and the living room area received smoke damage, but no major damages were reported.

Duvall said the residence, owned by Bobby Pawley, is reparable.

There were individuals inside the residence when LFD personnel arrived on the scene, and one man had inhaled some smoke during the incident, but no other injuries were reported, according to Duvall.

The LFD cleared the scene at 8:01 p.m. on Wednesday.

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/web1_House-Fire-1-1.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/web1_House-Fire-2-1.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

By Matt Lasley

mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus