Fire breaks out at Parkland Manor


By Matt Lasley - mlasley@civitasmedia.com



Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to Parkland Manor on Wednesday, March 9 in reference to a fire that broke out in a third floor apartment.


A fire broke out in a Parkland Manor apartment on Wednesday afternoon, March 9.

At around 3:54 p.m. on Wednesday, the Leitchfield Fire Department (LFD) and Grayson County Emergency Medical Services responded to Parkland Manor, located at 702 William Thomason Byway in Leitchfield, in reference to a fire in a third floor apartment.

Upon arriving on the scene, LFD personnel discovered an oxygen concentrator and the bedroom carpet on fire in the apartment, according to Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall.

The female tenant of the apartment had reportedly been smoking in the kitchen area of the apartment while also using oxygen, Duvall said.

The smoking ignited the oxygen, and flames travelled through 20 feet of oxygen tubing from the kitchen to the bedroom where the oxygen concentrator caught fire, and, in the process, caught the carpet on fire, according to Duvall.

The tenant was uninjured but was short of breath, so LFD personnel moved her to the building’s utility room before evacuating her from the building, Duvall said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within a couple of minutes.

The apartment sustained moderate damage as a result of the fire, and the third floor of the apartment complex sustained smoke damage throughout.

Duvall said many people are not aware of the dangers of having a fire source near an oxygen concentrator, and wished to advise the public that having flame, especially a lit cigarette, near one is very dangerous because it works as an accelerant.

Individuals who need to smoke should not do so around an oxygen concentrator and, ideally, should do so outside, Duvall said.

LFD personnel cleared the scene after about an hour.

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to Parkland Manor on Wednesday, March 9 in reference to a fire that broke out in a third floor apartment.
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/web1_Parkland-Manor-LFD.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to Parkland Manor on Wednesday, March 9 in reference to a fire that broke out in a third floor apartment.

By Matt Lasley

mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus