Fire damages Mehr Ave. home


By Matt Lasley - mlasley@civitasmedia.com



Theresa Armstrong | GC News-Gazette Leitchfield Fire Department personnel responded to a structure fire at 107 Mehr Ave. on Friday morning, Jan. 15.


The members of a local family were forced to temporarily vacate their home following a fire at the residence on Mehr Avenue on Friday morning, Jan. 15.

At around 8:30 a.m. on Friday, the Leitchfield Fire Department (LFD) responded to a reported structure fire at 107 Mehr Ave. in Leitchfield.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they discovered “heavy smoke” emanating from the upstairs windows and the attic, according to Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall.

LFD personnel knocked the blaze down within about 10 minutes and contained it primarily to the upstairs/attic portion of the residence.

Firefighters placed tarp over the family’s furniture and personal belongings, protecting them, for the most part, from fire damages; however, one bedroom was also damaged by the blaze, Duvall said.

The family, consisting of two adults and three children, was temporarily removed from the home by the American Red Cross and lodged in Hatfield Inn for a couple of days while work was being done on the house’s electricity, Duvall said.

The cause of the fire was electrical in nature, so Duvall requested that KU shut off the electrical power in the home while making a repair.

No injuries were reported, and the LFD cleared the scene around 10 a.m. on Friday.

Theresa Armstrong | GC News-Gazette Leitchfield Fire Department personnel responded to a structure fire at 107 Mehr Ave. on Friday morning, Jan. 15.
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/web1_Fire.jpgTheresa Armstrong | GC News-Gazette Leitchfield Fire Department personnel responded to a structure fire at 107 Mehr Ave. on Friday morning, Jan. 15.

By Matt Lasley

mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus