Fire breaks out at local home


By Matt Lasley - mlasley@civitasmedia.com



Photo courtesy of Tim Duvall The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1830 Shrewsbury Rd. on Saturday night, Dec. 5.


A residence on Shrewsbury Road was heavily damaged by a fire on Saturday night, Dec. 5.

Shortly after 11 p.m. on Saturday, the Leitchfield Fire Department (LFD) responded to a reported structure fire at 1830 Shrewsbury Rd. in Leitchfield.

The homeowners were away when the house, owned by Mike Priddy, caught fire, and when they returned, they saw smoke emanating from the residence, according LFD Chief Tim Duvall.

Upon arrival, Leitchfield firefighters found a “heavy fire in the center of the house,” Duvall said.

LFD personnel extinguished the blaze within about 20 minutes; however, the home received extensive heat, water, and smoke damage, according to Duvall.

No injuries were reported.

The fire is believed to have been electrical in nature, and it appeared to have originated from old wall heaters in the residence, Duvall said.

Due to the heavy damage as a result of the fire, as well as the home’s age, firefighters were unsure if the residence could be repaired following Saturday’s blaze.

Photo courtesy of Tim Duvall The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1830 Shrewsbury Rd. on Saturday night, Dec. 5.
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/web1_Shrewsbury-Road-Fire1.jpgPhoto courtesy of Tim Duvall The Leitchfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1830 Shrewsbury Rd. on Saturday night, Dec. 5.

By Matt Lasley

mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus