Many people at this time of year start thinking about making resolutions for the new year.
1. Start by making small changes to your routine. Pick the healthier option and pick the option with more physical activity. For example, park farther away from where you are going.
2. Many people tend to head indoors in front of the TV in the winter. Go to the gym or walk with a friend outside on nicer days. Walk the dog.
3. Exposing yourself to sunshine helps decrease depression due to light deprivation.
4. Avoid excessive alcohol.
5. Volunteer somewhere to help others.
6. Treat yourself to a day at the spa.
7. Start a new hobby.
8. Watch for details on a healthy life seminar to help with weight loss and detoxing at my office coming in January.
Gay Fulkerson, MD, is a board-certified family physician and wound care/hyperbaric specialist.