Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette The Nissan came to a rest upside down on the eastbound side of the parkway.

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

The Nissan came to a rest upside down on the eastbound side of the parkway.

Two people were killed and others were airlifted with critical injuries following a crash on the Western Kentucky Parkway on Saturday, Dec. 2.
At approximately 2:19 p.m. on Saturday, personnel from the Grayson County Sheriff's Office (GCSO), Grayson County EMS, and Caneyville Volunteer Fire Department responded to the 93 mile marker on the eastbound side of the Western Kentucky Parkway (the parkway) on a reported crash.
A short time later, the Kentucky State Police and Grayson County Coroner's Office responded to the scene to assist.
GCSO Deputy Dylan Bohn's initial investigation revealed a red 2007 Nissan Armada, driven by 43-year-old Charles Brent Martin, of Benton, KY, was travelling eastbound on the parkway when, for unknown reasons, it entered the median, overcorrected and crossed both eastbound lanes. 
The Nissan then struck an earth embankment, ejected one of its passengers, overturned at least twice, and came to a final rest upside down and facing northeast across both lanes on the eastbound side, according to a news release from Grayson County Sheriff Norman Chaffins.
Martin was pronounced dead at the scene from blunt force trauma.
42-year-old Melanie Wiles, also of Benton, KY, was seated on the rear passenger side and was ejected from the Nissan upon impact with the embankment, according to Chaffins.
She was transported to Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center (TLRMC) where she later succumbed to her injuries, according to Grayson County Coroner Joe Brad Hudson.
Two middle passengers, Cody F. Sykes and Hayley C. Warner, both 22 and also from Benton, suffered serious, life-threatening injuries and were airlifted to University of Louisville Hospital.
The front seat passenger, 42 year-old Christian P. Wiles, also from Benton, suffered minor, non-life-threatening injuries. 
Emily S. Martin, 42, from Benton, was seated on the rear passenger side of the Nissan and was treated at and released from TLRMC.  
Chaffins said that neither drugs nor alcohol appear to be factors in the crash; however, initial interviews suggest that no one in the vehicle was wearing a seatbelt.
The westbound side of the parkway was shut down for about an hour while the helicopters picked up three patients. Traffic resumed on the eastbound side of the parkway a short while before 5 p.m.