Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette Leitchfield firefighters battle a blaze at 803 Grayson St. on Sunday night.

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Leitchfield firefighters battle a blaze at 803 Grayson St. on Sunday night.

Two Grayson County homes, one in Leitchfield and the other in Big Clifty, were devastated by fires this week.

The first fire took place at 803 Grayson St. in Leitchfield Sunday night, when, at 8:30 p.m., the Leitchfield Fire Department was called to a structure fire. On the scene, firefighters discovered one end of the residence, owned by Debbie Strange, engulfed in flames.

Battling the blaze proved to be a two-fold challenge as firefighters working to extinguish the flames inside the residence also searched through it to see if anyone was inside. Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall said the residents of the home were out of town on vacation at the time of the blaze, and no injuries were reported.

Firefighters secured with scene within 30 minutes. Two front bedrooms, bathrooms, and the living room suffered heavy fire damage, and the remainder of the home suffered smoke damage, according to Duvall.

Leitchfield Fire Department personnel believe the blaze originated in the front bedroom/bathroom area of the residence and was likely electrical in nature.

Leitchfield firefighters cleared the scene at Grayson Street at 10:25 p.m. on Sunday night. The Leitchfield Police Department and Grayson County Sheriff's Office also assisted on the scene.

Then, at 7:10 a.m. on Wednesday, the East Grayson County Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at 9902 Elizabethtown Road in Big Clifty.

East Grayson County Fire Chief Bob Williams said that firefighters discovered flames shooting out of both ends of the attic and the entire front of the residence on fire. Because of this, firefighters could not immediately make entry, and there were some crevices in the home which firefighters could not access to extinguish the flames.

Firefighters were initially on the scene from the time they were called until around 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, but were twice called back to the property — once two hours later and again on Thursday afternoon — after the fire rekindled.

The residence, rented by Rachel House and owned by Bradley Harrison, was ruled a total loss, and two dogs perished in the blaze, according to Williams.

No other injuries were reported, but the residents — House, her live-in boyfriend, and two children, all of whom had left the home prior to the fire starting — lost everything they had and are being assisted by the Red Cross and their fellow community members, Williams said.

Firefighters believe Wednesday's blaze was likely electrical in nature. The residents had reported that there had been a small fire in the home the night before, but they had extinguished it themselves and did not report it. Williams said this initial fire likely ignited something else, which smoldered throughout the night.

As winter nears, firefighters are advising Grayson County residents to exercise caution when using electrical appliances over the coming months.

The East Grayson County Volunteer Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Clarkson and Leitchfield fire departments.

Duvall said residents should make sure not to overload electrical outlets and to make sure they have working smoke detectors.

"That's the first line of defense while they're sleeping," Duvall said.

Williams encourages residents who have decorated for the holiday season to keep the outlets used for Christmas trees clear of other items and to unplug all Christmas trees and/or space heaters when they are not home. The chords for space heaters in particular can overheat after extended use.

Residents are also encouraged to keep their clothes dryers clean of lint to reduce the chance of fires.